Here is a list of 20 priviledges either I am afforded, or those around me are:
1. The opportunity to attend college.
2. I am priviledged to have a great relationship with my family.
3. I am priviledged to live in an environment where i can feel my well-being isn't endangered.
4. I see many people who have the priviledge of not being held accountable for their actions.
5. I am priviledged to not have to be in a position where i have to provide for my family.
6. I am priviledged in the sense that i feel i can comfortably ask my family for help and receive it (within reason).
7. I am priviledged in the sense that i have never had to truly struggle to survive financially.
8. In contrast to #4, i am priviledged because i am expected to be successful by others.
9. I am priviledged in having never been turned away from a job on the basis of race, gender, or sexual orientation. (most because no one realizes or knows i am half-black)
10. I am priviledged in knowing that i do not have the pressure of being the only person in my family to ever attend college.
11. I see many people who are priviledged to be able to attend a university, unfocused, to find themself... on their parents' dime.
12. I am priviledged to not have any major learning disabilities that would hinder me from learning or understanding at the rate i do.
13. I am priviledged to be afforded the opportunity to have a vehicle of which i am only responsible for the gas.
14. I am EXTREMELY priviledged to not have to worry about how i will pay for school, yet atleast.
15. I see many who are UNPRIVILEDGED to not realize or appreciate all that their parents provide or do for them. I say unpriviledged because when they become adults and realize the true extent of their responsibilities, only then will they appreciate all that was done for them.
16. I am blessed in the sense that i wasn't born with any physical or mental disabilities.
17. I am priviledged in the sense that i've been afforded the opportunity to travel out of the country and experience other cultures.
18. I am priviledged in the sense that i have never had to face extreme hate or cruelty on the basis of my skin color.
19. I am priviledged to have the opportunity to surround myself with people who aren't haters and are true to heart.
20. I am priviledged to realize the extent and degree of all the priviledges and opportunities afforded to myself.
Reflecting on all that i've had go my way in life just makes me realize that much more how blessed i am. I can honestly say i truly appreciate what opportunities i have personally been afforded, and at what cost they've come (even prior to this list). I feel very spoiled when i hear some of the horror stories people have had to overcome or triumph over. This isn't to say i have taken for granted what i've been given or blessed with, but just that i have no honest feeling that the world has had it in for me, and my life has been bad. I can only hope that i will be able to afford my children these same opportunities and this same outlook i've had. Since day one, my parents have made me realize the extent of how nice i truly have it in comparison to so many others, I think this is why i am so grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You made such a great list i thought. Most of them are similiar to the things that i am grateful for so i thought that was interesting. Some of my favorite ones were about not having learning or mental disabilities. I think that is a huge one and i feel really blessed. I also liked having a great relationship with my family because i too have a great relationship with my family and I am so grateful for that. Like you said,I too hope that i can give my children the privleges and oppurtunities that i have been given. I want to teach them to be grateful and appreciate what they have and use it to the best of their ability.
ReplyDeleteDavid, your post was easy and interesting to read. I can relate with almost everything that you said, and you helped me realize how truly blessed I am as well. I thought it was great that you talked about not having any learning disabilities because I think that is something we take definitely take for granted every day, and something I should've thought to put on my own blog post. It sounds like you are very privileged and have an honest appreciation for the things that God has blessed you with. Great job, your post was a great eye opener!
ReplyDeleteWow david this list really makes me think again, how privileged i am and the people that surround me are. It really makes me thank God everyday for how much he has blessed not only you and I, but our friends and family as well. Great post and list, I think you came up with some excellent things for your list and there is no doubt in my mind that some things that you said in this have touched me and will touch others. I agree with the other two people that have commented on your post about it sounding like you are a very privileged young man and like i said, no doubt that this was an eye opener for the class.I know that i am definately privileged to have you as one of my best friends. :)
ReplyDeleteDavid,
ReplyDeleteIsn’t it amazing how easy it is to not realize how nice we have it? I mean, I personally feel everyone has their problems growing up and it is not easy, but overall, how much can we complain? I looked at my list after reading yours and realized we have a lot of things in common. I have never had to worry about anything financially and never felt pressure of living in the area I live in. I have always felt I come from an extremely loving and safe environment, and I couldn’t be more thankful for that. Also, I can completely relate to how grateful you can be for not having any disabilities at all. My sister was born with a learning disability and although she can converse clearly and acts very normal, life and especially school has not been easy for her. If it weren’t for my parents and their loving support, my sister would not be in college right now. My sister is also one of the most loving and strongest people I have ever met, and I feel she has truly helped me appreciate every privilege I have. It is so nice to know that there are people who know how good they have it in the world, and I really feel you are one of those people. Your blog was very nice to read and good luck this semester.