Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lil Wayne, Scumbag or Extraordinare?














With Lil Wayne's 7th album on the verge of being released to the masses of enthralled fans WORLDWIDE, I would like to bring a question to center stage. Is D'wayne Michael Carter, aka Lil Wayne aka Weezy F. Baby, a scumbag who thrives on glorification of drug abuse and feeling above the law, or a truly innovative human being?

Many black activists across the nation despise the young mogul solely due to the fact that he uses his stardom to glorify violence and the abuse of drugs. And i must say, for those looking to better the image of young African-Americans on a nationwide level, Mr. Carter proves to be an utter nightmare. "Long hair, don't even care," is the most simple way to describe the star from an outsider's perspective.

But when you dig deeper, when you scower the question and ponder it more thoroughly, the thought arises of whether he truly is a step beyond innovative. A man who recorded his first album as a mere 16 year-old, signed to one of the hottest record groups at the time, Cash Money Records, has evolved into a world figure. His music has given so many classes and breeds of people a common ground. Not only has D'wayne strengthened a fan base of young black Americans who reside in the nation's most impoverished areas, but he has also accrued a faithful fan base of young adolescents from middle and upper class families. The fact is, Lil Wayne is a Rock Star. His music is a genre of his own, there is rap, there is hip hop, there is rock, and then there is Lil Wayne. He has alone inspired a certain style and swagger among many of today's adolescents that is astounding. So many aspire to replicate the young star, whether its flaunting money, producing music in the manor in which he does, and yes... the drug abuse and violence. In a matter of time, Lil Wayne will take his innovations to a whole new level when he releases his newest album "Tha Carter III: Rebirth", a rock album. Having proven his thorough reign over the rap game, Wayne will attempt to broaden his throne to even the realm of rock. Who would've thought that a rapper would honestly be able to consider them self a Rock Star at the same time. His ability to produce music in genre I alone considered to be a "white mainly" genre, will prove to be his biggest move yet. I believe the release of this album will just unite so many more people of different walks of life, just validating his innovativeness. Bringing rockers, rappers, blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, impoverished, rich, old and young together on one level. This album will not just make ripples in the pond, but waves in the ocean.

8 comments:

  1. I remember the video with Juvenile and LilWayne and I said out-loud. We need to watch him....
    Did you know I teach a Hip-Hop Course? the culture of hip-hop is diverse and it has changed how many view the world; advertising, the clothes you buy, the cable you subscribe to,etc. You should read Michael Eric Dyson and the subject of hip-Hop or Toure. It is much more complicated then media and stereotypes. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip-Hop is so much more than simply music. It is much deeper than just a look or a style. Hip-Hop has brought different cultures together, and unified a great amount of people. With so many different styles and forms of hip-hop there is something for everyone. True, some may have to search a little bit harder or look in some different places to find the style that fits them best, but nonetheless, there is something that will connect to everyone which in turn can connect them to people they never thought would enter their life. Not just hip-hop, but music itself touches the soul of those that really listen and appreciate the art form for what it truly is...a way to express feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to go with extroardinaire based on his interview with katie couric and my overall knowledge of the man. Of course some characteristics he posesses makes him a "poor role model" to young kids, but what makes people think thats who he is targeting with his songs and actions. The man is trying to live his life to the fullest and seems to be doing a pretty good job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you standing up for Lil Wayne. He is one of my favorite artists, and I have experienced people's judgment based on his appearance. He is intimidating with his tatoos, piercing's, baggy pants, and doesn't give a attitude. This image throws a lot of ' people off, and makes them categorize him as a thug. Categorizing is just another form of racism I believe, stereotyping someone before you give them a shot.
    But that is a whole other story...
    I agree that Lil Wayne is one of the best artists of our time. His lyrics are innovative and during an interview I watched Katy Curik gave of him before the Grammy's he doesn't write any of them down. He memorizes them. That is something in of itself. So I agree, he's the best rapper alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you critically experience your universe as you have been doing with your blogs, you provide opportunities for additional conversation and learning experiences with other students. Good job everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, if you ask anyone in America who this best rap artist out right now, hands down, they will say Lil Wayne. He puts out track after track; mix tape after mix tape, each track is hot, and equally as jaw dropping. Aside from his lyrical success his lifestyle, as the media has portrayed, is nothing that of average. Of course he is an educated young man, having a college education but I hate what he is doing with his life celebrity or not. All the drugs that he consumes are mind blowing to me and I always wonder how long the world will have a Lil Wayne. I think his is putting out a good and bad image for young kids in America. On one hand you can come from the hood and make is big if you strive to get there no matter what. On the other hand that “all I think of is getting money and drugs” attitude can lead many young men astray. With “swagga” out of control I would think that one of the men that I listen to more than ever would do a little bit more to be something positive in young people’s lives. “ Ya Digg”.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree, handsdown the best rapper right now is little wayne. i agree with almost everyone that has commented on this topic. I think that little wayne's music teaches lessons. his lyrics are not just lyrics to a song , they are lessons to be learned, things that he has been through, and things that are happening now. It amazing how influentual his music has become. At the same time, i do see where the bad image can be seen. The drugs and alcohol is not something that we want these 12 and 13 year olds that are listening to his music to be doing. so the question is should he clean up his image or not? i think his reply would simply be , " IM ME " ! i think that littl wayne will forever be one of the greatest in hip hop and will definately never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree.... Lil Wayne is def blowing up the charts! The only thing that I dont understand about his music is that it speaks so terribly of women and he makes it seem cool to smoke weed constantly ex. "my weeds real plumy..and real gummy" what kind of message does that send to the younger generation of kids that idolize this rap star?? Although some of his lyrics are catchy and entertaining, they are not all fit to be played. It seems that in almost every song he produces, you can find lyrics that are either demeaning to women everywhere or encouraging the younger generation to participate in illegal activity.

    ReplyDelete