This class' relevance was clear from the get go, though sometimes i didn't agree with the direction it went or the thoughts implied, I was still able to appreciate other aspects and views on some controversial topics we touched on. I enjoyed all of the speakers that came to class and spoke to us, though sometimes i was skeptical of their relevance to the curriculum at the time. The speaker we had on the black panthers was by far my favorite, he was so informative and enlightening! I was impressed by his thorough knowledge and perspective on all information pertaining to the black panthers and their movement.
The group work took me out of my comfort zone a little because I tend to do work on my own, I prefer not relying on others when my grades or overall well being is at hand. But it allowed me to view various aspects of group work and build a new found appreciation. The first group I worked with placed me in a position of leadership which I felt most comfortable with, but as our group fell apart I was placed in a great group that was already headed in a direction with their work so i was placed in place of assistance. I was allowed to have work dealt to me and accomplish my individual tasks, far different from being in a position of dealing out the workload. I must say, it was a less stressful situation but my overall influence was far less, which I guess is why you need a solid group of reliable people... not always your friends.
This class didn't enlighten me as much from a historical sense but more of a sociological aspect. Some of the discussions we had about the various aspects of culture in society broadened my horizons a little. Though some of the activities we did I felt kind of worked to divide the class, notably the "privilege" activity we did outside mid-semester. I felt it tried to turn privilege into a race-derived issue only when its far more than that, its a socioeconomic issue more-so in my opinion. But still i can't say this took away from my overall experience in Intro AFAM, if given the opportunity I would definitely consider taking another class in the department.

I hope you do.
ReplyDeleteHey i agree with you on the teachig method of the class . Sometimes the work did seem to much . On the other hand it made the information alot easier to understand . Instead of having to read every night then just come to class and take notes everyday . The class was more like a discussion everyday which made it alot easier to take in information . Because truthfully i would have not read all of the information everynight . So i really benefitting from this form of teaching . I think alot of students benefitted from this as well
ReplyDeleteDAVID!!! Yes i did benefit from this style of teaching. i loved it. sometimes i did not quite get through all the readings, but it was quite an adventure. :) I would also definitely consider taking other classes out of this department. I enjoyed the class! and the teacher :) I totally agree on the group whole group work thing and how it did give us all a chance to view everyones opinions and thinking! i also agree on the whole Privilege assignment and how it kind of worked against the class. But overall we go through it as a class!! i appreciated all the aspects and works of this class!!
ReplyDeleteYes sir i agree that more free blogs would have allowed for even more expression and "venting" like you said but true the blogs were a great way of allowing the creative state of mind to take charge and allowing the writer to express their feelings to the world. With the class not being directly from the book and allowing everyone to take everything in their own way along with being able to look at things from a societal prospective I think that i really attacked the topic of the class from a completely different angle like you stated which i think really delivered a totally different experience than suspected.
ReplyDelete